In late 2016, we began to reimagine ways to be more impactful and focused, and to better align our leadership and action in the community with our grantmaking. As a community foundation, we strive to both support a healthy nonprofit sector and have targeted impact in select areas that our community lifts up as having the most significant challenges.
We have taken many steps over the past two years to arrive at our current priorities:
- Thoroughly reviewed our grantmaking history to understand trends and impact
- In partnership with Forsyth Futures:
- Executed a nonprofit community survey to understand perceptions of the Foundation’s work and grantmaking activities and to get feedback on the biggest challenges nonprofits and the community are facing
- Examined community data to identify areas of greatest challenge and opportunity
- Conducted listening sessions and one-on-one conversations with hundreds of Forsyth County residents
- Learned from other community foundation colleagues across the country
In September 2017, the Foundation’s governing board approved two focus areas for our community investment work: Building an Inclusive Economy and Advancing Equity in Education.